To continue my last post here is the hurdy-gurdy after 8 coats of French polish and 1 final coat of preserving polish called “popote” in France.
I then started to assemble the hurdy-gurdy. In order to do that you have to remove the varnish from the places where the pieces are glued together!
I started with the head. I put some masking tape in order to delimit the place where to scrap the varnish.
With the blade of a cutter and a knife I scraped the varnish and I tried not to go over the limit.
Then I glued and screw the head.
Here I did the same with the tail piece:
I took advantage of the drying to put the mechanical pegs on the hurdy-gurdy head !
I scraped the varnish in order to glue the keyboard.
The keyboard is glued and it is drying!
I also built a case using plywood and foam. I didn’t take many pictures. I glued some artificial leather on the outside and red velvet on the inside!
Once the keyboard was correctly glued on the soundbox, I attached the lid onto the keyboard using 3 little hinges:
Here I’m gluing the 2 bourdon bridges:
After that I put all the strings in place (but I didn’t take pictures because I was so impatient to see the result).
Here are some pictures of the almost finished hurdy-gurdy (I still need to put the resonance strings in place and to build the wheel cover):
And one last picture of the hurdy-gurdy in its case:
It is starting to make some sounds. I played a little bit on it, but it still needs a few hours of adjustments!!!
I will post a video when the sound is a little more audible!